Ken's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anybody know of any good tours coming up

4 posters

Go down

Anybody know of any good tours coming up Empty Anybody know of any good tours coming up

Post  orangespaceship Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:51 pm

Anybody know of any good tours coming up - in the uk I suppose, but its always nice to know what's happening elsewhere.

I'll be going to see The Bootleg Beatles shortly - should be entertaining. Did anybody see the originals? I saw McCartney a few years ago and he was excellent.

Then in January there's Richard Thompson - got me ticket. He's great. I think this time round he's doing his '1000 years of popular music' show.

In April, I think it is, got a ticket for Robin Williamson and John Renbourne. RW is a big fave of mine from his ISB days, and he's always good value.

Should be going to see Jeff Beck in June too. I'm not a big fan of his, but I'm always impressed by his guitar skills.
orangespaceship
orangespaceship

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Anybody know of any good tours coming up Empty .

Post  Admin Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:56 pm

You should enjoy the BB's .....I saw them years ago and they were good then.   I saw the Beatles in their early days,thought they were crap!  I'm not suprised Decca turned them down, they did poor covers of Chuck Berry etc.I saw most of the 60's groups right here in town.  The Hollies played the local dance halls most weeks along with Gerry & Pacemakers...Billy J Kramer,et al.     Best Liverpool group at that time was The Big 3.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Anybody know of any good tours coming up Empty Re: Anybody know of any good tours coming up

Post  leiper Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:46 pm

Upcoming tours? Can't think of any ...

leiper
Top Poster
Top Poster

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Anybody know of any good tours coming up Empty Re: Anybody know of any good tours coming up

Post  robinb Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:29 pm

Yea, Kings of Leon @the Oydessy in Belfast, this Saturday.

robinb

Number of posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Post  orangespaceship Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:22 pm

Saw the Bootleg Beatles on Tuesday - they were pretty good! It's a bit strange to see an impersonation, though. Must admit, they do it very well, and they had a real live string quartet for Eleanor Rigby, I am the Walrus, Strawberry Fields, etc., and a small brass ensemble for Penny Lane, All You Need is Love, A Day in the Life, etc. They covered 3 periods: Shea Stadium, Pepper, Rooftop. The guy who was Paul McCartney (played it left hand, had all the mannerisms) had been brought in that day as a replacement for the regular guy who'd been taken ill! I guess he must have been in another Beatles tribute group, because he knew the lot.

Impressive, but a bit weird too.
orangespaceship
orangespaceship

Number of posts : 26

Back to top Go down

Anybody know of any good tours coming up Empty .

Post  Admin Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:11 pm

Saw this in my local paper on Sat and thought it fitted in with what I posted above.The Beatles, the Kinks and Dave Clark Five all played The Majestic
Saturday, January 31, 2009, 09:20

They say that if you remember the Sixties you weren't there, but Jimmy Hibberd has plenty of tales to tell from the decade. He shares a few of his memories with Colette Warbrook

T HE Beatles may have been the world's most famous band, leaving women swooning and men wanting to follow in their footsteps.

But there was a time when their performances failed to set the stage alight.

"Many famous groups came to the Majestic Ballroom in Hanley," says Jimmy Hibberd, of Grove Court, Alsager, "and these included The Hollies, the Kinks, the Merseybeats and Dave Clark Five.

"But there was one Liverpool group who were a flop, so one of them apologised to the ballroom's owner, Bill Costello.

They also offered to give a free performance in the future, which Bill declined."

Little did Bill know then that six months later, the group would become known as The Beatles, inspiring 'Beatlemania' throughout the globe.

"I think they must have been the Quarrymen when they came to the Majestic," says Jimmy, a 75-year-old father-of-two and grandfather-of-three, "and I don't think the audience had heard of them."

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down